Campus Safety Alert
March 26, 2016
The RCMP has released a statement advising the community of a sexual assault that occurred on Friday, March 25, 2016 at approximately 10:00 p.m. in the 3200 block of Wesbrook Mall:
Police are seeking the assistance of the public in identifying the person responsible for this incident. Please provide any information to the University Detachment RCMP at 604-224-1322 or Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
UBC has taken several steps recently to ensure the safety of our campus community, including additional security around student residences and the expansion of the UBC Blue Phone network. There are additional safety measures available to you:
- Use the AMS Safewalk Program (604-822-5355) to have someone accompany you from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- Use the Translink Community Shuttle, which operates on a fixed route and stops near residence: www.transportation.ubc.ca
- Use UBC Blue Phones to connect directly with UBC Campus Security: http://security.ubc.ca/campus-blue-phones/
- If you find yourself alone late at night on campus after these other services have stopped running for the evening, please call Campus Security at 604-822-2222 (put this number in your phone) or use a UBC Blue Phone and a security patrol will accompany you to your campus destination.
The University is doing everything possible to assist the RCMP in their investigation. Campus Security and the RCMP continue to patrol campus and respond to reported incidents. Personal security is an important consideration for everyone at UBC. Please take the utmost care and be aware of your surroundings when travelling on campus.
We recognize these are preventative measures that will not stop every crime from happening; however, we can work together proactively to create a safer community at UBC.
Important phone numbers
- AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) 604.827.5180
- Resources for student sexual assault survivors
- Resources for faculty/staff sexual assault survivors
- RCMP Victim Services 604.224.1322
- Employee Family Assistance Plan [EFAP] 1.800.663.1142
- UBC programs to promote respect and diversity
- Archive — 2013 sexual assaults
- Safety measures you can take
- Vancouver Campus Safety Working Group
- Campus Safety Alert — May 1, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Mar. 26, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Jul. 14, 2015
- Campus Safety Update — May 6, 2015
- Assault allegations in The Ubyssey — Apr. 1, 2015
- UBC RCMP are investigating an assault near Totem Park Residence — Mar. 18, 2015
- South Campus Assault Update — Mar. 7, 2015