Coronavirus (COVID-19) and UBC’s responseFeb. 20, 2020 – 11:04 a.m. PST
As you may be aware, China and other countries around the world, including Canada, are working to contain the spread of a newly detected Coronavirus.
At this time, the Public Health Agency of Canada has assessed the public health risk associated with the virus as “low for Canada”.
We ask that anyone expecting visitors to campus from Hubei Province, China, contact the host unit to determine if that visit may be delayed. As of Feb. 7, the BC Centre for Disease Control has also advised the following: “People arriving in Canada from Hubei Province, China are asked to stay home and self-isolate for 14 days and monitor closely for symptoms of illness”. For further details visit http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-%28novel%29.
We take the safety and security of our community both in Canada and abroad very seriously. The following steps have been taken so far:
- Student health services in Vancouver and the Okanagan have consulted with the BC Centre for Disease Control for guidance to facilitate the detection and containment of the virus.
- Staff at UBC’s Go Global program have contacted exchange and co-op students in affected areas to ensure they are aware of the situation and have the health information, resources and contacts they need.
- The university has reached out to staff and faculty in areas where Coronavirus has been reported to advise them as well.
- Posters are up in student residences advising students of Coronavirus and tips to avoid viral illnesses and transmission of viruses.
- We have convened a group of stakeholders from across the university to coordinate action as new information emerges.
UBC works with a service provider, International SOS (iSOS), to advise and support travelling students, faculty, and staff. If you have concerns about travelling, or require more information, visit https://finance.ubc.ca/travel/plan/travel-safety. Students, faculty and staff travelling to China are also advised to check https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories before travel.
See the following sites for more information:
Public Health Agency of Canada — https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
BC Centre for Disease Control — http://www.bccdc.ca/about/news-stories/stories/2020/information-on-novel-coronavirus
World Health Organization — https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019