Safety measures you can take
Everyone plays a role in making UBC’s Vancouver campus a safe and welcoming place. Looking out for yourself and others is an important part of staying safe after dark.
You don't have to walk alone and there are things you can do to stay safe:
- Practice being aware of your surroundings.
- Refrain from using or wearing electronic devices as they may distract your or prevent you from seeing or hearing signs of danger.
- Walk with friends, colleagues, or classmates.
- Use the AMS Safewalk Program. Safewalk operates from 7pm to 2am nightly. Call 604.822.5355 (put this number in your phone).
- Use the TransLink Community Shuttle, which operates on a fixed route with stops near campus residences.
- Know the location of UBC Blue Phones on campus. Pressing the large button on the Blue Phone will connect you directly with Campus Security.
- Call Campus Securityfor help, directions, or to request an escort to your destination. Use a Blue Phone or call 604.822.2222 (put this number in your phone).
Trust your instincts:
- Call Campus Security if you need help, feel you're in danger, or notice suspicious activity.
- In an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Stay informed about the latest campus safety developments:
- In each of the recent reported incidents, the individual screamed for help and resisted, which scared off the assailant. Visit Campus Security's website for additional information and resources on personal safety.
- You can follow the University (@ubcnews) and University RCMP (@University_RCMP) on Twitter to receive the most current bulletins and safety information. The latest information will also be posted on the Stay Safe website.
Read the Interim Report from the UBC Point Grey Campus Safety Working Group.
Important phone numbers
- AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) 604.827.5180
- Resources for student sexual assault survivors
- Resources for faculty/staff sexual assault survivors
- RCMP Victim Services 604.224.1322
- Employee Family Assistance Plan [EFAP] 1.800.663.1142
- UBC programs to promote respect and diversity
- Archive — 2013 sexual assaults
- Safety measures you can take
- Vancouver Campus Safety Working Group
- Campus Safety Alert — May 1, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Mar. 26, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Jul. 14, 2015
- Campus Safety Update — May 6, 2015
- Assault allegations in The Ubyssey — Apr. 1, 2015
- UBC RCMP are investigating an assault near Totem Park Residence — Mar. 18, 2015
- South Campus Assault Update — Mar. 7, 2015