Assault allegations in The Ubyssey
April 1, 2015
RCMP is investigating a reported racially-motivated attack recounted in an article published in The Ubyssey this week. The account of the incident is disturbing to all of us in the UBC community and remains an active file with the RCMP.
Racism and violence are unacceptable on campus and UBC takes incidents like the one described very seriously. The safety of all of our students, staff and faculty is of paramount importance.
UBC is currently working through the final details of a new enhanced camera and blue phone system as recommended by the Campus Safety Working Group. That plan will be released in the coming weeks. This new blue phone and camera system will provide additional safety and security measures for the UBC community, adding a valuable tool in addition to the network of personal safety programs, services, and community relationships that are fundamental to creating a secure environment on campus.
Anyone who is the victim of an assault on campus is urged to call 9-1-1 and anyone who sees suspicious activity should call Campus Security at 604-822-2222. For information on personal security resources and programs, including SafeWalk, Blue Phones, please visit: http://security.ubc.ca/content/personal-security.
Important phone numbers
- AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) 604.827.5180
- Resources for student sexual assault survivors
- Resources for faculty/staff sexual assault survivors
- RCMP Victim Services 604.224.1322
- Employee Family Assistance Plan [EFAP] 1.800.663.1142
- UBC programs to promote respect and diversity
- Archive — 2013 sexual assaults
- Safety measures you can take
- Vancouver Campus Safety Working Group
- Campus Safety Alert — May 1, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Mar. 26, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Jul. 14, 2015
- Campus Safety Update — May 6, 2015
- Assault allegations in The Ubyssey — Apr. 1, 2015
- UBC RCMP are investigating an assault near Totem Park Residence — Mar. 18, 2015
- South Campus Assault Update — Mar. 7, 2015