Campus Safety Alert
July 14, 2015
This is to inform you that over the last few days we have had several voyeurism reports from guests staying in the Place Vanier and Totem Park residences. These incidents include varying witness descriptions of an intruder (or intruders) looking through unlocked residence room doors at partially clothed female students.
UBC has been communicating directly with summer guests of the conference centre and hostel, and wanted to inform the broader UBC community of the steps we are taking to ensure our community’s safety:The RCMP has increased police presence around Totem Park and Place Vanier residences, and UBC Campus Security and Student Housing and Hospitality Services have increased patrols inside and outside of the buildings.
In addition, UBC has hired a third-party security company to augment our regular services. We also have staff available at the residences’ front desks 24-7 to provide assistance.
If a crime or stranger intrusion is in progress, call 9-1-1 immediately. Report any suspicious incident to Campus Security at 604.822.2222 or to the RCMP at 604.224.1322 (non-emergency number)
More safety resources can be found on Stay Safe website.
By working together, we can proactively create a safer community at UBC.
Thank you for your cooperation
Acting Director, Campus Security
Important phone numbers
- AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) 604.827.5180
- Resources for student sexual assault survivors
- Resources for faculty/staff sexual assault survivors
- RCMP Victim Services 604.224.1322
- Employee Family Assistance Plan [EFAP] 1.800.663.1142
- UBC programs to promote respect and diversity
- Archive — 2013 sexual assaults
- Safety measures you can take
- Vancouver Campus Safety Working Group
- Campus Safety Alert — May 1, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Mar. 26, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Jul. 14, 2015
- Campus Safety Update — May 6, 2015
- Assault allegations in The Ubyssey — Apr. 1, 2015
- UBC RCMP are investigating an assault near Totem Park Residence — Mar. 18, 2015
- South Campus Assault Update — Mar. 7, 2015