Campus Safety Alert
May 1, 2016
The RCMP has issued a news release today advising of charges laid against two men in relation to a reported break and enter and sexual assault that occurred on April 30 in the 5700 block of Birney Avenue in Vancouver: http://bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=2087&languageId=1&contentId=46320
Police are seeking the assistance of the campus community in investigating this incident and ask that you provide any information to the University Detachment RCMP at (604) 224-1322.
While these two men were arrested at the scene, it is still important to be vigilant about your surroundings and to look out for one another when travelling on campus. We want to remind you there are safety-related services available to you year-round like the AMS Safewalk Program, the Translink Community Shuttle, and UBC Blue Phones that connect directly with UBC Campus Security. For more information on these resources, please see: http://www.ubc.ca/staysafe
As warmer weather has arrived, it's also important to remember:
- Don't prop open exterior doors or accessible windows in a residential building.
- Don't hold the door open for strangers following you into a residential building.
- As always, please promptly report any suspicious people and activities to the RCMP.
We realize the recent incidents of voyeurism and sexual assault have been unsettling to the community and we share your concerns. UBC will continue to work with the police, Campus Security and other campus community partners to continuously look for ways to improve the safety of students, faculty and staff on campus. We will share more information about the recent incidents when possible as the police continue their investigation.
Important phone numbers
- AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) 604.827.5180
- Resources for student sexual assault survivors
- Resources for faculty/staff sexual assault survivors
- RCMP Victim Services 604.224.1322
- Employee Family Assistance Plan [EFAP] 1.800.663.1142
- UBC programs to promote respect and diversity
- Archive — 2013 sexual assaults
- Safety measures you can take
- Vancouver Campus Safety Working Group
- Campus Safety Alert — May 1, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Mar. 26, 2016
- Campus Safety Alert — Jul. 14, 2015
- Campus Safety Update — May 6, 2015
- Assault allegations in The Ubyssey — Apr. 1, 2015
- UBC RCMP are investigating an assault near Totem Park Residence — Mar. 18, 2015
- South Campus Assault Update — Mar. 7, 2015